Thursday, January 3, 2008

Culture Shock

I could not believe my eyes once we finally made it to India. I spent a lot of time on the planes reading The World is Flat, and I think it obscured some of my expectations on what life in India is actually like; Thomas L. Friedman glorifies India for its culture, innovation, and IT capabilities in a world that is “indeed, flat”. Driving from the airport and into Mysore, though, gave me a completely different view of the real India and the biggest culture shock I’ll probably ever experience throughout my lifetime. I was so overwhelmed by the dirt and muck and lack of civilization that it was almost surreal. No, it was surreal. I woke up the next morning and didn’t know where I was; I could have sworn it was a dream. I wanted it to be a dream. I had no clue how I was going to make it in a place like this.

After four days of everything Mysore, India, things are beginning to look up. I even made friends with some of the locals down the street! I can’t wait to see what is in store next.

1 comment:

Rajiv said...

So now that you've had a chance to listen to speakers on India and visit these factories here, how does it relate to what Friedman talked about? How do you see the globalization affecting this very different place?